Daniel's Sentencing

The second sentencing at which I presented a statement was for Daniel Irwin on Dec. 16, 2016. He received a 2 year sentence in the county jail, as did his mother, Traci Irwin. They were both released from the Oneida County Correctional Facility on March 24, 2017. I do want to point out that Daniel was genuinely remorseful and shed a few sincere tears at my statement. Judge Dwyer also noted his remorse.



Depraved indifference. These are the words that come to mind when I think about Daniel Irwin’s actions on October 11 & 12, 2015. In fact, he has continued his depraved indifference and utter disregard for human life. Uncaring, even mocking and scoffing.  He is being sentenced to two years in the county jail. I understand and appreciate the reasons why, but I feel the sentence is much too light. My brothers’ lives are worth far more than that—they are invaluable. Thoughts of Daniel’s release are fraught with consternation. I would request, for the record, that Daniel be prohibited from contacting any member of my family.

Countless hours of my life were spent caring for Daniel, especially while I lived with the Irwin family. Yet the very last hours of my baby brother’s life were spent under Daniel’s careless surveillance. I spent hours just folding Daniel’s laundry when he was a boy. Yet my brothers’ very lives were disregarded by Daniel, their suffering scorned by him. I feel the time I invested in Daniel’s life was in vain.

I understand Daniel did not want to get involved with the interrogation and beating of Lucas and Christopher. But something is dreadfully wrong when a young man who holds a clergy position in a church decides to do nothing, while he observes appalling violence has been committed and two people are suffering terribly.

I watched Daniel grow up while I attended Word of Life Christian Church. He has known me all his life. In the years since he became an adult, and while I was still a member, I actually thought that he was somehow better than I, more spiritual. I respected him as a leader within the church.
I was wrong. I feel betrayed and violated.

Daniel showed more care and concern for a carpet than for my brothers. He could have done something. He could have sought life-saving care for Luke. He could have comforted and eased the suffering of Chris. Instead he sat, guarding the beaten one, guarding the one bleeding to death—because in some deranged way he decided that is how a church demonstrates the love of God.

Each of the nine participants in this case had widely differing roles in the violence that was carried out. For me personally the impact of Daniel’s actions is marked by anger and disgust. Sometimes I startle myself with the intensity of the anger I feel as I imagine Daniel watching my Lukey draw his final breaths after writhing, bloodied, on a tarp—because God forbid the sanctuary be defiled with blood on the carpet.

My brother Lucas Benjamin was quiet, kind, and caring. He was helpful and fun. Stolen from this world--from my world--where he could have contributed so much, Luke first withstood, and then allowed his life to be taken so that others could be freed. I remember the amazing, swelling pride in my heart as I sat in the hospital waiting room and heard my baby brother’s first cries. Again I felt incredible pride as it became clear that my brother had accomplished a feat that no one else ever had. My Lukey was Superman running a kryptonite spear through the rampaging Doomsday, putting an end to the monster’s destruction. Luke’s legacy will be upheld in that surge of pride for as long as I have breath.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunderings

Debi's Sentencing

Bruce's Sentencing